Monday, February 8, 2010

Spring Break Plans: Japanese Review

So, my first semester in Japan has ended, and I now face a two-month vacation. Fearing that I will spend the next two months how I usually spend my weekends (alone in my apartment doing nothing), I have set a few goals for the vacation time. One of the biggest goals is to finish the following books.

1. Genki II and A Course in Modern Japanese: Volume Two
I've read both of these already (one was my textbook part of this semester), but I want to make sure I learn everything I can from them. There are still a lot of grammar points and kanji I learned once but don't remember now.
Both textbooks teach basically the same things, but since each book explains things differently, it has been helpful to use both of them. This is something I recommend to other learners: learn from more than one creditable source. The more ways you have things explained to you, the better you'll comprehend them and be able to use them.

2. パターン別日本語能力試験3級徹底ドリル3級
This is an all-around prep book for JLPT 3, but I mainly got it because it has a listening section, and I desperately need to improve my listening (and speaking, but that I can't do with a book...).

3. にほんごチャレンジ3級[ことばと漢字]
This is also a book to help study for the JLPT level 3, but the one before looked more like a testing tool, and this one looked more like a teaching tool. I got this one to increase my vocabulary and kanji.

4. 外国人のためのケータイメール@にっぽん
I found out about this book from the JapanNewbie interview with @sandkatt. It's really, really helpful with colloquial Japanese, and it's written in easy foreigner Japanese, so even I can read it. I think it's a gem. I'm halfway done with it and want to finish it over the break.

5. Catchy Japanese Phrases
A small book of everyday phrases I should probably already know. I just realized it's published by the same company that published Genki. That has no significance, but I wanted more text to take up space with. :)


And the reading begins... now! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi, your videos i funny ^^

    May i do a sugestion on what to do on your vacation time, because im with the same problem! and for me the solution is to go outside your in japan the dream of many (like me) you should go enjoy the nature, walk, see the museums,or get a hobbie (painting, traditional japanese art) see concerts and stuff and you could also help out in your comunity it would be a great experience and you would learn more japanese ^^ Books are good but not if you only do that =) Hope you have a great Vacation! ^^ and dont Forget Your in Japan! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry -- I'm not spending all my time inside studying Japanese. :) I'm going to Hokkaido for a week, and when I come back, I'm going to get a tour book for my city and discover some new places around me. I'm also teaching myself to play the ukulele, which does still kind of keep me inside, but it's something I've been wanting to do but haven't had time for. Thanks for your concern. I'll make sure I don't waste my time in Japan! :)

    ReplyDelete

Jeannettosaurus in Japan!